All About Returning to School
- Educate teachers and peers involved with student on the effects of traumatic brain injury
- Provide instruction at home until student is ready to return to school.
- Prepare student for re-entry into school.
- Modify schedule as needed.
- Assist student to cope with physical environment of school.
- Use instructional materials which are age appropriate and suitable to student skill and interest.
- Employ various instructional strategies for students with head injuries.
- Provide large print books or books on tape for students with visual - perceptual processing difficulties.
- Use computer assisted basic skills programs in reading and math.
- Use computer programs to help student re-develop cognitive skills.
- For students with fine motor difficulties who find it difficult to use the standard keyboard, use alternate methods to access the computer
- Use adapted computer access technology (eg. screen enlargement software) to help students with limited vision to access information provided on the computer screen.
- Allow the student to tape lectures.
- Teach the student with specific memory problems to use prosthetic memory aids.