Learning how to take action for someone else is a learned skill. It comes naturally for some, others need some help. Being able to talk to your child's teacher about his or her needs is important. Knowing what to keep up with, what records to keep, who to give what to....all things to consider.
Knowing who to contact is important when
you've done everything you can and things
still aren't working out. Try...
- Identifying your loved one's strengths and needs and learning how to communicate that to others
- Helping decide on attainable goals and dreams
- Finding resources and support
- Gathering folks to be on your team...not against you
- Evaluating the process and the progress
A disability rights organization and the protection and advocacy system for the state of South Carolina.
NDRN is the nonprofit membership organization for the federally mandated Protection and Advocacy (P&A) Systems and Client Assistance Programs (CAP). Collectively, the P&A/CAP network is the largest provider of legally based advocacy services to people with disabilities in the United States.
Serves the nation as a central source of information on disabilities in infants, toddlers, children, and youth.
Advocacy.... What is it? Can I be an advocate?
10 Tips for Good Advocates
by Pat Howey, Advocate
1. Good advocates facilitate the IEP process.
2. Good advocates know the child and understand the disability.
3. Good advocates try to reduce existing barriers between the parent and the school.
4. Good advocates are willing to admit mistakes and to apologize.
5. Good advocates hone their listening skills to a fine edge.
6. Good advocates learn the art of negotiation.
7. Good advocates understand special and general education law and the interrelationship between these and other laws.
8. Good advocates know that understanding the law is different from quoting the law.
9. Good advocates understand the importance of ethical behavior in their practice.
10. Good advocates treat others the way they would like to be treated.
Number of people looking for help and advice on how to be an advocate!!